Friday 24 February 2012

Pinterest

Having decided today that I really should see what all the fuss is about, I went to the site.

I find myself, disbelievingly, on a waiting list.  LiveJournal and Gmail also used to operate on an 'Invite Only' basis but they swiftly grew out of it.  The fact that they don't give you any further information about how long you might be waiting or WHY you are waiting is just childish and elitist.  The fact that they don't clearly tell you that you're joining a waiting list when you plug in your email address is rude.  I'm told by a current member that they're performing a background check on me - did Pinterest get it's head stuck somewhere during a cavity search on a new 'pinner'?

And all this when it seems that you can bypass the waiting list and background check by having a current user send you an invitation.  Which makes these measures seem pointless, irritating and unnecessary.

I like the idea of Pinterest as I'm into visual media but I find the sign-up process and lack of information disgustingly off-putting.  It puts your back straight up and turns you off.  Social media is about 'right now' and 'easy'.  So far, Pinterest is neither of those things.

At this point, if I didn't feel like I had a professional responsibility to check it out, I would be scrapping the Pinterest idea and refusing to use it.  I actually don't mind and understand being checked out, as social media legal issues are rife at the moment, but the lack of customer care and information infuriates me, especially as it could be so easily added  to the automated email I got...

I shant forget this Pinterest - and you have a lot of making up to do.

1 comment:

  1. I guess you could make bubonic plague invite-only, and people would fall over themselves to get it.

    Although, first time I signed up to Twitter I got so many spammers trying to add me it was ridiculous, so maybe invite codes are a necessary evil (like Recaptcha, ugh).

    ReplyDelete