Wednesday 18 January 2012

Tomorrow I shall be up with the birds.  Or at least the rest of the household...

Groundwork went well, nice little matching set of guard orientated techniques.  The hard part is not getting people to learn the techniques but to understand the underlying  mechanics.  Groundwork shouldn't be messy or thugish - it's a sly, patient art.  It's a game, human Chess.  Even at the bottom levels of my fitness I can roll for an hour quite happily without pushing myself because I can play the game.  You have to be like a crocodile: control the space, wait patiently, seize an opportunity and act decisively with speed and precision. 

It's times when I contemplate Ju Jitsu that I'm really grateful that I was born small.  It forces me to use real Ju Jitsu and giant killing techniques.  I imaging that it's very hard not to throw your weight and muscle around if you have it but in my experience it tends to leave you with a hole in your game if not spotted and nurtured properly.

Better to be fast and light than heavy and strong.  And when I talk about heavy / light I'm not talking about physical weight.  You don't even have to be flexible if the bio-mechanics are right.  Most importantly, relax.  There's a reason they practice BJJ on the beach in Brazil.  No relaxation, no game.

No comments:

Post a Comment